These homemade/copycat Hostess HoHos are one of my all-time favorite recipes! They were gone so quickly at my house, which is always a good sign. I filled these with my vegan frosting, and it works perfectly. These are gluten-free, dairy-free, and make for the most delicious treat!
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- cacao powder
- hot water
- nondairy butter
- vanilla extract
- vegan/nondairy frosting
- nondairy chocolate
- coconut oil
See recipe card for quantities.
Store at room temp. or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Gluten-free & Dairy-free Homemade Hostess HoHos
For the chocolate cake:
- 2 ounces cacao powder
- 2 ounces hot water
- 4 ounces egg yolk from about 6 eggs
- 7 ounces egg whites
- 2 tablespoon nondairy butter
- 5 ounces sugar divided into 4 ounces & 1 ounce
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 1 can vegan vanilla frosting
For the chocolate coating:
- 1 cup nondairy chocolate
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 17x11 inch pan with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine the cacao powder, hot water, vanilla, and butter together.
- In a mixer, whisk the egg yolks and 4 ounces of sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the chocolate mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add in the 1 ounce of sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the other mixture slowly to not lose the air.
- Pour and spread evenly into the prepared pan and bake for about 15 min. Lay a damp cloth over the pan while it cools.
- Once cooled, spread the frosting evenly over the cake. Cut the cake into 4 large rectangles and roll each so that they look like a swiss roll/hoho. Cut each in half so that you have 8 HoHos. Freeze while you melt the chocolate coating together. Pour over the swiss rolls and let harden before enjoying!