Say hello to these delicious paleo lemon blueberry donuts! One thing that I hadn't had in probably over 5 years, until these, is donuts. I thought my days of enjoying a donut were gone once I decided to transition my diet to heal my gut and other illnesses. I was so wrong, because these are oh so enjoyable! Made with healthy and gut-friendly ingredients, these donuts make for the perfect snack or treat. They're paleo and aip friendly which is just what I like. And they taste great too!
When I was a lot younger, I never really "loved" donuts. If we had them in the house, sure I'd eat one but they were never something I craved or sought out. I began to develop more of a sweet tooth as I got older and I started to enjoy them more, just up until I had to change my diet. Some of my favorite donuts were a simple chocolate frosted donut or a blueberry donut from Dunkin Donuts. These lemon blueberry paleo donuts remind me of those days!
Lemon and blueberry is one of my new favorite flavor combos. I hadn't realized how much they complement each other until pairing them up in this paleo donut recipe. The tang of the lemon brings out the sweetness of the blueberries to create just the perfect balance. Everyone will love these delicious grain free, refined sugar free, and nutritious donuts! I hope you enjoy!
Paleo Lemon Blueberry Donuts
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ cup coconut milk full fat
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a donut pan with your choice of nonstick cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray).
- In a bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl and using a whisk, mix the coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Take a ziplock bag and scoop the batter into the bag. Cut the corner of the bag with scissors to make a hole for the batter to be squeezed out of. Pipe the batter into each donut mold until an even layer is in all of them. Gently move the tray to help the batter to settle. Drop about 5 blueberries into each donut.
- Bake the donuts for about 16 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Set to cool then remove the donuts from the pan and enjoy!
Leave a Reply