These homemade protein butterfingers are vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and taste even better than the real deal! The perfect healthy candy alternative and very simple to make.
Use a clear shot of the ingredients for this recipe, prepped, and labeled if necessary. Insert the ingredients into the list below, omitting quantities.
- ingredient 1
- ingredient 2
- ingredient 3
See recipe card for quantities.
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Lettuce - instead of ice berg lettuce, you can use romaine lettuce or spinach
- Bun - use gluten free buns instead of white bread buns to make this gluten free
- Vegetarian - the beef hamburger can be replaced with a plant-based burger to make this vegetarian
Even if your reader doesn't follow a specific diet (eg. gluten free), they may have friends or family that they're cooking for that could use this. This is also a great idea to link out to another blogger with a similar recipe that fits a different diet.
Store the wet ingredients (lettuce, tomato, onion) separately from the dry ingredients (buns) in the fridge, and recombine when ready. Good for 2-3 days.
These ingredients do/don't stand up well to freezing for X days/weeks/months.
Vegan & Gluten-free Homemade Protein Butterfingers
- 1 ¼ cup smooth peanut butter make sure it is a natural kind so that it is very runny
- ½ cup protein powder of choice I recommend using a salted caramel or vanilla flavor
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 ¼ cup gluten free puffed rice cereal
For the chocolate topping:
- ⅓ cup nondairy chocolate chips
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, honey, and protein powder. Fold in the puffed rice.
- Press the mixture into the pan and let it sit in the fridge while you melt together the chocolate and coconut oil.
- Cut the butterfingers into 9-12 squares, depending on how large you want them, and spread some of the chocolate mixture onto the top of each. Let harden and enjoy!