My brown sugar cinnamon pop tart squares are easily one of my most popular recipes on my site right now! I've seen copycat pop tart bars going around on social media and simply had to give them a go myself. I wanted to make them vegan, gluten-free, & dairy-free, so that everyone can enjoy them. I will say, these are a SWEET treat and definitely not low in sugar. However, I'm a firm believer in balance and that sometimes sugar is worth it...especially in these! And they have much healthier and REAL ingredients as opposed to those in packaged pop tarts. Anywho, highly recommend giving these a try!
Here are the ingredients you'll need:
- coconut oil
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- gluten-free flour
- strawberry jam
See recipe card for quantities.
Store in the fridge for up to 5 days!
Vegan & Gluten-free Strawberry Pop Tart Squares
For the pastry dough:
- ¾ cup +1 ½ tablespoon softened coconut oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup powdered sugar can sub powdered sugar substitute!
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup gluten-free flour I used the Namaste gf/nut-free flour from costco!
- 5-10 teaspoon water this will depend heavily on the gluten-free flour you use!
For the filling:
- ¾ cup strawberry jam can use homemade or storebought.
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoon water
- optional pink food coloring
- Preheat oven to 325℉ and line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the coconut oil and sugar until creamy. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Mix in the flour. Add in your water 1 teaspoon at a time until you have a shortbread dough that sticks together and can be pressed into the pan. The amount of water will vary depending on which gluten-free flour you use. Every gluten-free flour seems to need a slightly different amount of water!
- Press half of the dough into the prepared pan.
- Spread your strawberry jam evenly over top of the dough.
- On a piece of parchment paper, press the remaining ½ of the dough into a flat square the size of your pan. Flip this large piece of dough over top of the jam and peel the parchment paper away. It's okay if it breaks a bit, just use your fingers to mend the dough together so that it completely covers the jam filling.
- Bake for about 34-37 minutes, or until golden brown. Time may vary depending on your oven. Let cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the icing ingredients, adding water 1 teaspoon at a time until you have a consistency you like. Add optional pink food coloring. Spread the icing over the cooled squares and allow to harden before slicing and enjoying!